I was searching for a Banana Bread recipe that was gluten free and found this recipe which is also sugar free and dairy free, which suits me just fine! I have adapted this recipe from a book I recently downloaded by Alexx Stuart called real treats, 68 Gluten, Grain and Dairy free sweets. I have changed it to suit the ingredients I had in my pantry.
The taste is very ‘bananery’, but it still has a spongey softness to it. Now, I wrote that it is sugar free but don’t let that fool you, it’s still sweet, it just doesn’t use conventional, refined sugar ( which is referred to as addictive poison by various groups). This is a whole food banana cake. If you try it, let me know what you think. I like it.
What you need
- 3 eggs
- 100ml coconut oil, melted
- 90 ml maple syrup (the real stuff)
- 1 tsp baking powder (gluten free)
- 1tsp cinnamon
- 1tsp vanilla essence
- 2 medium bananas
- 90g gluten free self raising flour (I used the ‘has no…’ Brand from Aldi)
- 20g almond meal
What you do
- Preheat oven to 180c and grease a loaf tin
- Beat eggs, coconut oil, maple syrup, vanilla, cinnamon until combined
- Add mashed banana. Mix till combined
- Add the rest of the ingredients (all the dry) and mix till combined
- Pour mixture into tin and bake for 30-40 minutes or u till a skewer comes out clean.
- Cool on a rack or start eating.
- Lessen bananas to 2 for a drier loaf, which is good for toasting.
- Add walnuts at the last stage if u want
- Substitute banana for 1.5 cups grated carrot for a carrot cake loaf
- Use a muffin tin to make muffins
- This recipe freezes well